Friday, September 17, 2010

Books


I love reading. I guess it's obvious based on my blog title. I kept a list of books I've read. So far I've read 25 books this year.

1. Little Women 
I love classics. Pride & Prejudice is one of my all time favourites. I actually watched this movie when I was young and somehow it got stuck in my mind.


2. Chicken Soup for the Soul
I also love every chicken soup books there are. I bought this on discount from MPH. Brings me memories of borrowing every Taste Berries for Teens from the school library when in high school (the only good books the library had).

3. Diary of Ma Yan
About this school girl from China who wants to study but doesn't have the chance to study because of poverty.


4. Thomas Edison
Jodie lent this to me & its about, well, the life of Thomas Edison.


5. Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
6. Remember Me?
7. Shopaholic & Baby
Gick who hates shopping loves the shopaholic series. Ironic huh? I am indeed a fan of Sophie Kinsella. One of the best chick lits. 

8. The Tenth Circle
Written by Jodi Picoult. The storyline is good, but I don't really get her endings. Same with previous ones I read, Plain Truth & 19 Minutes.


9. Tales of Beedle the Bard
I grew up with Harry Potter. So when I saw it sold so cheap in Tesco I had to buy it. Not great as a storybook, but more for the collection since we have all the Harry Potter books.


10. The Last Song
Big fan of Nicholas Sparks. I have about 8 of his books now, but they get kinda predictable. Country love story, sad endings, someone has to die...


11. Handle with Care
Another Jodi Picoult, lent from Zara. This one I totally didn't get the story line at all. You want to sue your best friend/ gynae because she din tell you that your daughter is gonna have some medical condition & if you knew then you would have aborted the baby & you have to convince the jury that you wish your daughter was never born??

12. Dear John
Refer to no. 10.


13. The Bonesetter's Daughter
I love Amy Tan. Talks about life in China / life in America. Good book.


14. The Kite Runner
This is one of my favourite books of the year. Written by Khaled Hosseini. Set in Afghanistan, the book touches on war, loyalty, father's love. Great book. Two thumbs up!

15. Chicken Soup for Mothers & Daughters Soul
Yeah, I'm a fan of any chicken soup and every chicken soup. Collection of heart warming tales.


16. The Opposite of Fate
This is by Amy Tan, the first of many other non fictions I'm gonna read. It's interesting to listen to the story of the voice behind the tales, and you realise that there are many similarities between the author's life and the stories she write.

17. Are You Afraid of the Dark?
By Sidney Sheldon. Actually I've read this book before, and when I was reading it I was like, why is it so familiar? Halfway through only I confirmed, Oh yes, I've read it before. I guess it just wasn't that memorable? I guess I'm not a Sidney Sheldon fan.

18. Wild Swans
Another one of my favourites. Its non-fiction & tells of life in China during the communist times. Two thumbs up, too!


19. The Best Laid Plans
I kept trying to recall the story line but failed. =( I guess Sidney Sheldon is not my cup of tea. I find that it's irritating that the book does not seem continuous, but broken down into many segments of short stories. Get what I mean?


20. Angela's Ashes
This is also a good book by Frank McCourt. Talks about his childhood years in Brooklyn and Ireland.


21. Diary of a Wimpy Kid
22. Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Rodrick Rules
23. Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Dog Days 
I don't know if any of this should classify as a book, because it's half filled with pics! It is quite interesting. Not much of a storyline though. There's no plot: no exposition, climax etc. But it's an easy read. My sis loves it!


24. Saving Fish from Drowning
By Amy Tan, one of my fav authors (cos she's one of my mum's fav authors, hence having lots of her books). This is different from all her other books.. And, frankly, I didn't like it. My mum said she couldn't even get through the first chapter!

25. Eat Pray Love
My birthday present. Tells about her travel journeys to find pleasure, find God, meditate, find balance, experience love etc. It's a good book, but at parts when she rambles about her ex-lover and her divorce, it gets a bit too whiny.

That's all for now! Others on my To-Read-List are 'Tis by Frank McCourt, The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan, Glimpses by Adibah Amin, The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith. Currently reading Jacky Daydream by Jacqueline Wilson.

Till then, Bye!!

No comments:

Post a Comment